Friday 31 August 2012

Cathy Berberian and the Beatles?!

Today I had a hankering to listen to Luciano Berio, and more importantly remind myself of the vocal wonders of Cathy Berberian singing Berio. So, my first port of call was of course, Berio's Sequenza III for female voice (1965). I love Cathy Berberian's voice- it's purity, agility, versatility and character makes her one of the greatest singers in the 20th century, and a godsend for the avant-garde composers.





Weird enough, I was unaware Cathy Berberian also dabbled in interpreting songs by The Beatles which is completely on the other side of the spectrum! They should teach us that in music conservatoires. Have fun listening to her operatic voice singing Yesterday. 


What's even better is this arrangement of Ticket To Ride by Louis Andriessen, which sounds like how it might be sung by a Handel oratorio singer. Hilarious! I love Cathy's enthusiasm and humorous performance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...