Tuesday 20 November 2012

My first Thanksgiving...anything.

I'm British, which means Thanksgiving isn't really a 'thing' here, but I attended a Thanksgiving Concert given by some exchange students from Boston University and had a great time!

It was refreshing to be in a more casual setting, especially when every concert I go to seems to be really serious and reserved. The programme was a mixture of more serious pieces such as Bach or Ibert's Flute Concerto (which was mega-impressive), to crazy-good arrangements of Carol of the Bells and Sleigh Ride for the following instruments:

2 flutes
1 trumpet
1 french horn
2 tubas
1 saxophone
1 piano
1 violin
Oh, not forgetting the use of wooden spoons, and the good ol' hands for percussion during Sleigh Ride.

If you think that's an insane combination of instruments to arrange for, damn straight it is, but they made it work and I was blown away.

Of course, the promise of cupcakes, snacks and wine never fails to please.

Hopefully, I can persuade my Boston friends to let me put a recording up on here. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...