Monday 23 July 2012

Music on trains

I'm sure 90% of the population nowadays listen to music on trains. If I have a train journey that lasts for more than 10 mins I have a headphone ready in my bag, I pop some music on, and most probably I'll drift off and wake up in time for my destination station. But right now as I am writing this I have no headphones, and an hour long train journey ahead of me. DISASTER. What's a girl to do in this situation? Try to eavesdrop on conversations?... Or figure out what the train conductor said?

Being forced in this headphone-less position once again, I've finally noticed that only in this environment does music seem to have a slightly negative outcome. It seems the job of the iPod/mp3 player on a train is to block the outside world from the listener. Sure, it's a horrible world out there, I wouldn't argue against that, but it also makes us oblivious to the pregnant woman who needed a seat, or the elderly man who needed help getting up.

So I wonder, if I didn't listen to music during my everyday commutes, would I notice more? Hmm probably - I've so far noticed that the man next to me has a talent at sketching, and once by not listening to music I managed to check something off my bucket list: catching the legendary 'London Tube Tapper' in action!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...